Thursday, January 16, 2014

Recycled T-shirt Rug


I am in the process of making a baby memory quilt for my daughter using her cute baby clothes. I mostly use the front of the shirts with the fun little appliques. I did not want to waste the rest of the clothes since they mean so much to us and we also like to recycle and repurpose as much as we can.

So, I went to work and I created a colorful rug for my daughter's room.
Besides being so pretty it is also meaningful because it is made with fabric strips from her baby clothes.


It's quite a simple DIY, albeit a little time consuming (it took over two days to finish) but it is worth the time and effort. This is a cute little wall art that we will be treasuring forever.

I started by cutting strips of fabric from my daughter's baby clothes. I did not feel too bad using her old clothes since they were quite worn out. I donated the ones that were still in good condition and I kept the ones that were stained and worn out. Those were the most loved and they were worn out by my daughter using them.

The strips were about 1 1/2 inches in width maybe 8-9 inches long. They were not perfectly equal because I wanted the spirals to be different size anyway.


The process of making the spirals is quite simple. Twist and sew. I used the same technique when I made my other recycled t-shit rug.


After the flowers were all done (I made around 50 of them), I set out to bind them together. I just sew them in a continuous circle, overlapping some of the flowers to cover all the gaps and to give a little more texture to the rug.


© 2012-2014 imakeeverythingmyself.blogspot.com All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment